Welcome to my blog. My name is Pete, and I am a critic, primarily of films, with semi-regular explorations into television, and occasionally into literature and video games. I write reviews that are bullet point lists of pros and cons (or nitpicks in the case of truly outstanding films), before reaching a verdict. Why do I do it in this manner? Well, I love doing reviews, and have done for a number of years. However, when I started this blog I was working full time, and doing voluntary work in my free time, so I did not have the time to write six paragraphs plus long reviews of everything, but when making notes for reviews I found that I could express everything relatively briefly in bullet point form. Ironic…or random…you decide.
The verdict will be a mark given out of ten. Why? Well, I find that ratings out of five stars are slightly restricting, and I feel that half-stars are a bit of a cop out. Do not ask me why, it is just one of my many peculiarities. All opinions on this blog are my own, and if you wish to discuss any of them with me further then do not hesitate to leave a comment. My only request is that you keep it civil, as the fact that our opinions may differ should not be a reason to clash. My posts will not be daily, but they will be as regularly as I can manage, so I wish you Happy Reading!
Here are ten things that I am going to tell you, most of which will inform this blog and its content…
- I am a Bible-believing Christian.
- I have experienced more good films, television, literature and video games than bad, but I am working on that, I promise.
- I will never grade anything a zero out of ten as, no matter how bad something is, I respect the fact that time and effort was put into making it.
- At times I can be quite verbose, which is why bullet point reviews are a blessing both for myself and for the readers.
- Aside from when I was on holiday, or the weeks following a Christmas or birthday, I watched an extended edition of an instalment from The Lord of the Rings trilogy every weekend for nearly six years. They are my favourite films of all time, even though they are not the best films of all time.
- My favourite director of/working in the 2010s is Denis Villeneuve, closely followed by Martin Scorsese, as they have both been truly on point throughout the decade.
- I am 6″7 and regularly try to convince people that I am of average height, although I have accepted that I will never achieve my dream of becoming a pantomime dwarf.
- The most films I have watched in a day is eight. The most television that I have ever watched in a day is twelve consecutive episodes of The Walking Dead (accompanied by a lot of coffee…I did not get much sleep that night).
- I am from Wimbledon, and graduated with a 2:1 in BA (Hons) Film Studies from the University of Portsmouth, and a Distinction in MA Film Studies from Kingston University.
- I wrote about Amores Perros in my A-Level Film Studies exam, for an essay in the first year of my degree, for part of a website in the second year of my degree, and I did a presentation on it in the final year of my degree, before then doing a critical analysis of it for my Masters. Despite studying it to death, it remains my favourite Mexican film.